Dr. Rafik Refaat
Dr Rafik Refaat is a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist, and Associate Clinical Director, with more than 22 years of experience in the psychiatry of the young. His long experience has exposed him to diverse cultures and communities.
He qualified in medicine in 1984 and subsequently pursued training in general psychiatry in Charing Cross and the Imperial College. He was then appointed as a Lecturer in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry at UCL, Royal Free, and Great Ormond Street Hospitals. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in London (FRCPsych). He is also Training Programme Director of The Child and Adolescent Higher Training Scheme at Great Ormond Street and Royal London Hospitals. He runs the largest inpatient service in England, which has been, accredited ‘Excellent’ by Royal College of Psychiatrists, and awarded ‘Outstanding ‘ rating by CQC. He leads MDT of 130 people including nurses,2 other consultants, 3 SpRs, and 3 SHOs, psychologists, Art therapists, occupational therapist, dietitian, social workers, pharmacist, and teachers.
Dr Rafik Refaat is specialised in supporting children and young people and their families who have enduring and complex psychiatric disorders.
The types of problem he sees most frequently are
- Family discord and relationship problems
- Depression and anxiety with self- harm behaviour and poor school attendance
- Problems with attention and/or over activity, particularly when attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is suspected
- Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Tic disorders and Tourette’s syndrome
- Difficulties with social interaction, including autistic spectrum disorders
- Children who have received various previous assessments and diagnoses yet whose problems need clarifying
- Also runs a young people’s service for teenagers with psychotic and bipolar disorder or who have rare neuropsychiatric conditions and he often advises on recent advances in medication for psychological problems